Monday, March 1, 2010

Women in Business Conference 2010

The Women in Business Conference this weekend was amazing! Our speakers were really high quality this year and I learned something from every single presentation.

I found the diversity panel especially interesting. We had company representatives come in from Ernst & Young and Cummins to discuss the meaning of diversity in their company and in the broader workplace. It is a topic that is always interesting to me and it was cool to see their take on it.

The keynote speaker, Valerie Grubb, unfortunately was snowed in in New York with several feet of snow. Luckily enough we had another superstar speaker step up to take the spotlight. Author of the book "Lessons from the Trenches" Erin Wolf talked to our group about what it meant to be a woman in business in the changing workplace. I actually got to sit by her at lunch - I got a signed copy of her book!

Erin also had a connection with one of the group Presidents of the company I am going to be working for in May - Newell Rubbermaid. She gave me her contact information and a way to begin a connection with this senior leader - talk about networking!

This week school work is going to pick up a bit. I have to write 5 papers and take an Astronomy midterm on Thursday... next update will probably come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment